Project 3-Network Design
The purpose of this project is to design a network to be used to teach this class-MIS452.
You will investigate the latest trends in network design and technology.
You will collaborate with class members, current practioners and the WSU ITS network section.
Each student is responsible for turning in their own project work.
Wikipedia- Network Planning and Design
LinkedIn Learning: Building a Real World Network (1 hour)
Build a Linux VLAN
- Thirty eight student workstations with dual monitors, USB-C dock, dedicated WiFi SSID
- Hi speed wired internet access available (100 Mbps wired, 100+ Mbps wireless)
- Security is an important factor, for both wireless, wired and any separate network
- Firewall required, IPCop OK
Propose a learning environment for future MIS students, with input from practioners and by doing research >
Below are suggestions, feel free to add or delete based on your findings
- Firewall - such as IPCop, PfSense, Palo Alto NGFW
- Remote access to network lab environment. Feel free to suggest types-remote Desktop or VNC or?.
- Web (http) and ftp servers.
- Internet of Things (IoT) subnet for sngle board computers, microcontrollers, sensors and actuators...
- Network Storage required-recommend type- Azure? FreeNAS ?
- Virtual network environment (GNS3?)
- Device logging-for both troubleshooting and security
- Intrusion detection/Intrusion Prevention/Network monitoring -WireShark or??
- if using computer devices (servers, virtual machines, single board computers) consider how to automate software updates
- Gather and review requirements
- Develop network schematics
- Decide on software required to meet requirements
- Decide on hardware required to host software
- Consider if project should be done in phases
All work on this project must be finished and uploaded to your website and D2L by the date/time specified in the course calendar.
Complete and submit your Project 3 assignment and files by the date specified in D2L.